Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bumps, Bruises, and Mt. Begbie

I can hardly believe it is already the end of August! Where has the summer gone! After ben's race I accepted a part time job with Valhalla Pure here In revelstoke. This really ate up the spare time that Ben and I had to go on adventures. Needless to say that job only lasted 2 weeks. The breaking point was last weekend when I was going to be working all weekend and had already worked 3/5 nights that week. It was a beautiful weekend, and Ben and I were determined to take advantage of the 20 hours total that I had off all week(from 3pm Sat till 11am Sunday). At 3pm we packed up bags and headed up to camp on Mt. Begbie. It was a 6 km slough up a steep 22% grade trail with all our camping gear on our backs. There aren't any views along the way, but once you get above the treeline the view was rewarding! We could see the ski hill, the town, the setting sun, and it was a clear evening so that stars were unbelieveable that night. There is a couple of tent pads up there but they were all taken so we hiked up a little further and found a spot right below the glacier. It was unbelieveable. We had some wine, made some "dinner" (which is freeze dried astronaut food which you just add water too... yet tastes soo good after hiking)and built a fire. We hung out played cribbage and soaked in the views determined to stay awake for the stars. We camped that night without the fly on our tent and stared at them all night. Well ben literally stared at them all night because he didn't sleep at all since a spark hit his thermarest sleeping pad and created a hole.. I on the other hand slept peacefully under the stars.

We got up bright at early at 6 am because I knew I had to work. Dreading work. We started hiking down the mountain and wound up on top of a rock ledge. I was in front and kept walking trying to find a safe place to get down. Finally i found a place i thought I could do it, took a couple of steps until i felt my feet slip and fell about 10 feet. I am so lucky it was only 10 feet because I was pretty much helpless falling. My knees were pretty cut up, so ben came over with the trusty first aid kit and bandaged me up. All in all i was lucky and didn't think there was any major issues... that was until I started trying to walk down the steep mountain. My right knee that wasn't all that scraped up was really really sore, and very step made it worse. But I had no choice we had to get off that dumb mountain. It took us 3 hours. 3 hours of torture with every second step. Did I mention that we forgot the painkillers at home? whoops. Half way down I stopped trying to be tough and gave ben my backpack to carry down which made it a little easier but boy that was one of the hardest things I've done. Needless to say I didn't work that day, and proceeded to work one more shift before quitting. Working 8-5 is enough, I dont need to be working 60 hours a week. Especially since I want to do so much other things too.

This past weekend Ben and I had plans to climb Mt. cartier here in revelstoke. But it was soo smokey so we just went to the gym, had a mini triathlon, did a little hiking that was not strenous, and just hung out. I was supposed to work all weekend again so we just enjoyed having that time off together.

This coming weekend we're headed to Penticton. We decided to volunteer at Ironman Canada which will be really exciting! I'm planning on signing up for next year and we decided that since we were going so I could sign up we might as well volunteer and get involved in the whole thing! The weather is supposed to be nice and we've decided to bring our bikes.. maybe bike a portion of the route for ironman! should be a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment