Monday, May 27, 2013

Calgary Marathon Weekend

Well, 5 years ago I did my first full marathon with my 16 year old brother and Ben. It was a tough day for my brother and I, while Ben happily danced across the line. We aimed to complete the marathon in 4 hours, and we finished in 4 hours and 37 minutes. We went out too hard,so we wound up walking a lot the last 12 kilometers, and my little brother vowed to never ever do a marathon again. In training for Ironman, I decided to do the full marathon, and it was very fitting as it was 5 years later. Instead of crossing the finish line near tears, I crossed with a big smile. I didn't expect too much from myself. I had 2 goals, 1) to get a solid training run in and get used to running on sore legs, and 2) not to walk. As I mentioned before I hadn't run over 21 kms in training, so I knew that my legs would hurt, and they did. From about kilometer 17 until the finish line my legs were sore, but I still managed to maintain a fairly consistent pace throughout the entire race. When my legs starting aching, I just reminded myself how much more they will hurt come Ironman race day. I was so proud of my self for accomplishing my goals for the day and beating my personal best marathon time was just icing on the cake. My dad came out to cheer us on, and seeing him at kilometer 17 was awesome, and then him, his girlfriend, and Ben at the finish line made crossing that line even better. It was a good course this year, the finish line is into the Grandstand stadium so you kind of feel like a pro athlete. Ben did amazing as usual, 3:26, he is seriously a machine. I have no idea how anyone can run that fast.

Studying is progressing, the exam is this week. I have one practice exam left, so I'm holding off on writing that and I'm just reviewing some weak areas that I have consistently stumbled upon on the practice exams, and now that some of the important formulas are sticking in my brain I'm trying to commit some more obscure ones to memory as well.. just in case it is asked and I can get one more question right and it makes or breaks passing.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. To all the American's I hope you enjoyed your long weekend. Here's to one more week of insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment