Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Skiing vs. Training

So we have been getting pounded with snow here in revelstoke. We had a winter storm warning from wednesday through saterday last week, and got hit with over 75cms of snow. My dad and brother were coming out for the weekend and they were stuck for nearly 9 hours on the highway because of avalanches. Now we have another snow warning today through saterday again, and it has already snowed 20cms since it started early this morning. If you're a skiier all this snow is fantastic! We skied powder all day saterday even tho the snow had tapered off by then. Since Ben and I work monday through friday, we can only get out to ski on saterday and sunday. The issue is that those are also the days of our longest workouts. Last saterday we were supposed to have a 3hr bike and a 30 minute run, and on sunday we were supposed to have a 80 minute run and 30 minute bike. We would do those workouts befor we went skiing, but there are 2 problems: 1) the gym doesn't open until 10am, so if we want to do out workouts we have to wait until then and 2) there is powder to ski!! So why don't we just go after skiing? well, for those of you that ski you will understand why we dont. After skiing all day you are tired, your legs are tired and dead,and you haven't dranken nearly any water all day so you're a little dehydrated. The last thing you feel like doing is hitting the gym. Rather you want a beer, dinner, and then to lounge on the couch before bed. Which is what we have been doing. We justify it with the fact that at least we're doing SOMETHING, i mean we're working our legs and getting our heart rates up skiing. And I think skiing is a good substitute for sitting on a spin bike for 3 horus. But i dont think it can count as running. Running is my weakest discipline, so i really need to make sure i get those long runs in. Since I have been missing them because of skiing, I tried to get it in this week by doing it on monday night after work. Well there is a reason that long runs are first thing in the morning. I was very ill after that workout. When the alarm rang at 4:30am the next morning to go back to the gym to run again, well i coulnd't do it. I had just been there not even 10 hours earlier doing a long run. I was dehydrated because I ate then went to bed and didn't have time to drink enough water to replenish the liquid i had lost. Needless to say I reset my alarm until 7pm and enjoyed the extra sleep.

So that currently is our predicament, and i know many of you are thinking "oh what a rough life they are skiing instead of training". But the joke will be on me in March when the skiing is over and I'm trying to catch up on my long bikes and runs! :S Less than 8 months till Ironmamn Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment