Thursday, April 23, 2009

Well here we go!

Hello everyone...
I'm not entirely sure how this all goes, but I figured we should hop on the Blog bandwagon so we that can share all our adventures..
Ben's next big adventure is the Calgary marathon at the end of may... He's been training like a machine for the last 3 months to run the marathon in under 3 hours... Up at 5:30 before school and running hill repeats at nose hill. Now just to put how fast and how crazy he is I ran a marathon last year and it took me over 4 hours and I nearly lost a hip! The Big day is May 31, he`ll do awesome!
I, unfortuneately, am going to miss his big race because I'll be in Peru! I'm going with a group of university of calgary students for a spring semester. I leave a week tomorrow! I can hardly believe it, I remember seeing a poster about this trip in September thinking about how amazing it would be! I dragged Ben to all the info sessions so that he would understand that this was a trip of a lifetime and I had to go. Of course he understood and was encouraging me to do what I had to do to get this opportunity. The involves 3 university courses, 30 days in Peru, 14 of which are spent on a boat in the Pacaya Samira National Park in the Amazon jungle, 6 days in Lima and the remaining 10 in Iquitos. They only accepted 20 university students for the trip, and now there is only 19 of us going. I'm very excited about it, but I'm also pretty nervous. I mean I've lived in Boston by my self, but this is a whole other story! In Peru they speak Spanish and I barely know how to say hello in the language. Mind you I am making sure I learn how to say shellfish before I go so that I do not need to be airlifted off the boat because of an allergic reaction! Also, I've only met the other students a couple of times, and I'll be definitely miss the other champ. But the language barrier and missing ben aside, I'm sure I'll meet alot of amazing friends and come home with a ton of memories and perspective.
The trip to Peru is part of the reason I got the blog, but I'm hoping it helps to keep track of all the adventures me and ben embark on throughout the year and years to come.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's a great idea because you guys sure do adventure. And it will be a nice way to keep in touch when you move away!

    Great Start!

    ReplyDelete