Tuesday, December 7, 2010

One week down..... only 35 more to go.

One week down, and only 35 weeks left... and no unlike most of the other people with a 9 month count down I am not counting down a pregnency. Rather, we have made it through one week of training! Last monday was our first official day of ironman training! Last monday we were in calgary for me to get some tests done and I was not allowed to eat or drink anything after midnight. So Ben hit the pool at 6 am (5am our time) while I slept cozily for an extra hour, mmm... However, joke would be on me when i had to swim after not eating/drinking all morning and a 5 hour drive home. I was very tempted to just skip it, I mean it was only a half hour swim. But I wanted to start this training program right, so I got to the pool and made it through the first workout. The next morning we were up at 5:30 am and hit the gym for a bike, then again at 5:30 pm for a run. Wednesday we were at the pool for when it opened at 6:30 and then were at the gym again at 5:30 for a bike. I can safely say that wednesday at work I was a zombie. I had to be extra careful to make sure that I was not inverting numbers and charging someone $934 instead of $349 for fuel. Thursday we had another pool morning and then an afternoon run. Although all week we were asleep by 9pm, by the time thursday afternoon hit I'm pretty sure I was asleep by 7:30. On Friday we had an optional day off or the choice to swim... we opted for the day off. Ben had not started his new job yet so he got to hit up opening day at Revelstoke Ski resort (lucky guy) and I worked. It was so nice to just enjoy sleeping until 7 and not having to worry about working out. Saterday we went out to ski for the morning but the conditions weren't great (especially since Ben had skied all the fresh snow the day before) and we had over an hour of biking to get done, so we left at noon and headed to the gym. That night was my company christmas party, which was a blast but we did not get home until 1 am (incredibly late for us, like seroiusly, even when we're not training we have a hard time staying up past 11). Luckily we didnt have too much to do on Sunday, except for a 30 min bike and 55 min run. We went out to look at an old truck west of town, hit the gym, got our shopping done and pretty much passed out. And that was the end of the first week, with only 35 more to go..

This week Ben started a new job working on 2 new schools that are being built in town. They are supposed to have steady work for the next 2 years so it looks like we'll be able to stay here (in paradise) at least until then... hopefully forever.. But training yesterday was rough on him and has shifted out entire training routine that we got going last week. Ben now starts work at 7am, so we're not able to swim in the mornings at all anymore since the pool only opens at 6:30. And we now have to make sure we're at the gym when it opens at 5:30. Then ben eats a quick breakfast and heads out while I get to enjoy the morning for a bit and then walk to work. I have actually quite enjoyed the past 2 days of walking to work. I just pop in my earphones, and enjoy the beaufitul scenery of revelstoke. I still have my moments of awe when I look up and see the mountain towering over me. I have found this second week much easier so far (although it is only tuesday). But Ben has been pretty burnt out. He went pretty hard last week and he is now working 7-4:30 days outside in the cold. So I think it will definitely take some time for him to adjust to working again and training. Especially since his job involves lots of lifting and what not.

That's all for now!

2 comments: