Friday, February 4, 2011

I want to do it all... hopefully that's not my downfall

So, last friday we did not end up going swimming after all. But Saterday, despite 20cms overnight, I got my butt to the gym. We weren't expecting any snow, so I hadn't planned on skiing and ben and I were both going to get both these weekend workouts in. Well, when ben woke up to 20cms fresh on the ski hill it was a no brainer, he was heading to the hill. I, on the other hand, was not feeling great and had it in my head that I was training. So i dropped ben off at the hill and headed to the gym for 2 1/2 hours of biking and running. It was a great workout! I got the entire thing in and was feeling strong. After, I picked ben up, we were pretty burnt out and so we had a relaxing evening at home. Then in the middle of the night I woke up to a screaming headache radiating from my ear. I had had an ear ache all week, but I didn't really think much of it. Well, I think my ear was finally telling me to get it checked out. Turns out I had an ear infection that spread to my sinus'.. ouch. So they loaded me up on pain medication and antibiotics and I proceeded to sleep for the most part of sunday. That is until I decided that I should get my run in at around 3pm. I was feeling guilty cause I had missed the majority of my workouts last week and I was determined not to miss anymore.. So mom if you're reading this, I am sorry. I did go to the gym for a run on the treadmill, against your strict instructions to use all my energy to get better. And guess what.. you were right I felt worse after. Monday I was not feeling well at all and so i listened to my mom's advice.. maybe just a day too late.. I missed work, skipped training, planted myself in my -12 down sleeping bag on the couch and watched the entire first season of greys anatomy inbetween being passed out... mm.

Other than training, I got some really great news. Since graduating I have been trying to figure out what career path I want to take. Although my job is fine, it's definitely not a career path. So, after doing some research I decided that I want to get my my Chartered Financial Analyst. Which involves 3 exams, and self study at home. I was keen start the course except it costs a fair chunk of change. That's when I discovered a scholarship that pays for all of it except for the books! Well I thought I'd throw my name in, and if I didn't get the scholarship then I would just wait another year. That was back in December, and last friday I found out that I was selected to recieve the scholarship and that the exam is in June! Well I was ectastic! I enrolled, paid for my books and was keen to start as soon as possible!Then realization set in and I thought.. hmm.. I already dont have very much time with training, working full time, and trying to get some skiing in. How am I going to find the 250 hours that they estimate are needed to study for this exam in the next 4 months. That's 15-20 hours a week! Luckily I have an awesome employer who is willing to give me one afternoon off a week to study, and I'll set at least one full day on the weekend to planting myself at my desk and studying. If that's not enough time, I'll dedicate both weekend days to studying. I mean come march skiing will be over and with all the snow on the ground there won't be much to distract me.

The other thing I realized after I signed up for the course, is that the exam in June is on June 4th in Kelowna. Well, I have the Oliver Half Ironman on June 5th! Luckily this is not my big target race. It is a race I was supposed to do last year, but wound up breaking my foot 2 weeks before and was able to transfer my regisration to the following year. I guess it'll just be a good way to blow off some steam after the big exam.

So the CFA scholarship was a blessing and I am so thankful to have been selected as a recipient. However, it may also have been a curse since my hectic life may have just gotten even more so. So like the title of this post, I want to do it all.. but hopefully that's not my downfall and I don't end up burnt out or crazy come June.

No comments:

Post a Comment