Thursday, July 18, 2013

Wild Rose Detox

Ever since I can remember I've had stomach issues. It feels like I have tried everything to try and relieve the troubles that I have. After a plethora of unpleasant medical tests in 2010, I felt as though I was abandoned by the medical system with a "diagnosis" of IBS. Then I sought out a naturaopath last year, she did a controversial allergy test with electro-accupuncture. It came back that I was basically allergic to EVERYTHING. I tried that diet for a little while, however, when she later falsely diagnosed me with low thyroid and put me on some weird supplement that totally messed with my body I abandoned it. I toyed with the idea of paying hundreds of dollars for a blood allergy test, but after much research I decided not to. So alas, here we are. My mom tried the wildrose detox about a month ago, and she suggested I try it once we were done training. So we started the 12 days on Sunday. We thought we had timed it perfectly since we didn't have any plans this coming weekend, and it would be complete before we go camping to goodsoil, however, my brother is now having a Diaper party (an excuse to get drunk) with the guys on saturday and Ben is now unable to drink anything fermented (which leaves beer basically out of the question) and he has to stick to the super strict eating schedule. This will be a test for him that's for sure.

What is the wild rose detox?
Well you take a bunch of herbal supplements and eat a very specific diet that eliminates wheat, sugar (and anything sweet), dairy, tropical fruit, and fermented foods. For me, my meals didn't dramatically changed except for yogurt in the morning for breakfast. Ben, however, had to do a total 360 eliminating his typical sandwich at lunch time and replacing with salads.


How are we doing? Well we're 5 days in. I can't speak for Ben but I'm not finding it to bad. The first couple of days I had fairly low energy but I think that has mostly returned. With all of the horror stories you read of detoxing I have fortunately yet to experience most of the more disagreeable symptoms.

What do I miss?
The biggest thing that I personally miss is coffee with a little cream and sugar. I need coffee int he morning, but this black coffee is pretty gross, and I think coffee with almond or soy milk is even grosser. I also really miss salad dressing, this lemon and olive oil thing is getting pretty old pretty fast. Ben and I don't drink much, but sometimes I like a good glass of wine on the weekends so I'll probably miss that this coming weekend. Oh and peanut butter, Almond butter just doesn't quite replace it... and sauces...I am really sick of this fairly plain boring food I miss soy sauce on my rice, bbq sauce on my bbq'd chicken, and Ketchup on my eggs.

Things I don't miss?
I don't really miss cheese, or bread at all. I thought I would really miss them but I find it doesn't bother me. Actually, right now, the thought of eating a safeway pizza like we used to kind of grosses me out.

My go to snack?
Well right now my favorite desert is a rice cake with almond butter and fresh rasberries on top, mmm. Crunchy, sweet, and nutty, and the closest to a pb and j sandwhich that you can get.

What about dinner?
Well since it's BBQ season it's pretty straight forward. Chicken, Steak, or Fish on the BBQ with brown rice and veggies. If it was winter I think this would be alot harder (unless you're hardcore and BBQ in -20).

Overall, I haven't noticed the moment where you feel so much better. But I hear that it is coming. I am hoping that we can continue avoiding foods that I know don't treat me well such as wheat and dairy even off the detox.. however that may be difficult as we love pizza and they just opened a new pizza place in Cochrane that we are dying to try. Would I recommend this detox? I would say yes, if you can avoid social situations for the next 12 days, or have super amazing self control and won't cave on the glass of wine on that dinner out. I'm only on day 5, 7 more days to go so we'll see if this magically moment of feeling amazing comes my way.

2 comments:

  1. Stick to it Kuni Lou - You will feel amazing when it is all said and done I am certain!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow is just the simple word that may explain that how much I liked it. It was nicely stuffed with the material I was looking for. It’s great to be here though by chance.

    wildrose detox

    ReplyDelete