Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Life Lately.

Nothing the past week has been particularly blog worthy, no grand adventures for the champs. In fact, we haven't had the best of luck lately.

I am currently taking a unwanted hiatus from running and biking. Which I am really struggling with. Since we got back from Ironman I have been dealing with some pretty major knee pain which can be characterized as Runners Knee or Jumpers Knee. Basically it's knee pain right under neath the knee cap where you patella tendon connects, and it is the most annoying and sometimes extremely painful thing. I get pain when I walk up the stairs, down the stairs, running, biking, and when I sit with it bent for too long (like when I commute to work). I was told I could continue to run on is so long as I was running pain free, the problem is I would be running pain free but then it would be excruciatingly sore the next day. So, I've decided to take at least 2 weeks off, if not longer. I am very disheartened as I got back from Ironman with grand plans, I was planning on working on my running and racing a half marathon in the fall, trying to get it down to 1 hour 50 minutes, all with the goal progressing instead of starting over again for Ironman training next year. But, as per usual, an injury has me sidelined. To add to the issue, my beloved chiropractor, who kept me pain free through the last year, has retired. Unfortunately her replacement has not seemed to help. So I am off to meet a new chiropractor on Monday, who is apparently a runner and biker her self and has helped my coworker. Hopefully she can help me out so I can get back to training, because ask anyone if I don't exercise.. LOOK OUT!


Then there was the accident with poor Rudy. Last weekend, while running around like a chicken with my head cut off, I was getting out of the car with Rudy and I slammed the car door on his tail. I have never heard a dog scream before until then, poor guy. He didn't wait for me to reopen the door, rather, he yanked his tail out. It was bleeding profusely and he ran inside and laid on the carpet shaking. Home along, feeling terrible, I was trying to stop the bleeding when I noticed there was some white stuff sticking out. I phoned the vet not realizing that dogs had bones in their tail, but turns out they do, and the white stuff was his bone was sticking out! I basically went hysterical. I loaded him into the car and headed off to the 24 hour Vet downtown Calgary (seriously wishing we had bought that pet insurance). The poor guy had to get just over an inch or his tail amputated. They took him in, did the surgery while I waited down town, 5 hours later we were back home with a very sore and drugged puppy. He's doing alright, but you can tell his tail is bothersome. If he wags it I think it starts hurting because he tries to bite off the bandage, and he is super cuddly.

So what have I been up to since I haven't been training, studying, or do any crazy adventures? Well, I've been catching up on some reading. I just finished the third game of thrones and now I'm half way through Roots. Also, I am catching up on some TV shows via Netflix. I've been loving Orange is the New Black, and Homeland. We took my nephew for a sleepover last weekend too, so my brother could spend some time with his spouse before baby #2 comes. We went to see the new disney Planes movie in 3D which was fun. Ben has been helping my step dad every day this week with moving, while my mom has been out of town. This coming weekend is the first weekend in a long time we don't have any plans, mind you we didn't have any plans last weekend either until thursday and it turned into a whirlwind!

No comments:

Post a Comment