Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It only took 10 months...

When we moved in to our place, there was this family that lived down the street. We would see the mom out running every morning and biking every evening. We figured she must be training for something. Then when we volunteered at Ironman Canada we saw her in the race! I wanted to mention something, but it never seemed to be a good time. I walked past her house every morning on my way to work, we would do the friendly wave thing, but I never said anything. She would come into my work buying dog food and I'd want to mention something but didn't. I used to be really outgoing, but in the last 10 years that has changed alot. I haven't really had to make friends since I have my best friend around all the time and I guess I've forgotten how. Then as more time passed I figured it had just been too long since the race to say anything and if I did it would be all awkward because I had seen her tons since and never mentioned anything. So the awkward waves to eachother persisted for the last 10 months, until last week. We both happend to be walking, on the same side of the street, she was without kids. I bit the bullet and stopped her and asked "did you do ironman canada last year?"

"Yes?" she replied, somewhat cautiously thinking I was a crazy stalker.

"That's awesome! we volunteered and I thought we saw you! We were about 10kms from the finish line."

"Really?"

"Yeah we volunteered so we could sign up! My finance and I are doing it this year!"

"That's awesome! have you done many triathlons?"

"Ummm, well not really just an olympic and a sprint when I was like 14, but I do have the oliver half ironman this weekend!"

"Really! I did that one last year! it's really fun"

"Really! I was supposed to do it last year but then I broke my foot, so they transferred me to this year."

"Well good luck!"

"Thanks!"

And that was that, we had had finally had our first converstation. Something that I should have done along time ago. I had a zillion questions to ask her about the race, but I had to get to work so we said goodbye.

Then I was walking to work today, and she pulled out of her driveway, and I saw her reverse down the street. I wondered what was going on and she stopped beside me and rolled down her window and asked "how did your race go!"
I explained to her that it went really well and I was pretty happy with my time.

"Congradulations!" she replied "but Ironman is way different than the half. It is way slower. So if you were dead like I was after the half just don't worry, you'll do fine in Ironman."

She went on to ask if I wanted to go for some training rides with her to which I explained that we are moving on friday. She stared at me in shock like most people do when they hear we're moving away, but I explained that it is a good thing. She wished me luck in the Ironman and moving, and said she'd keep an eye on the results to see how I did and we went our seperate ways.

It's just one of those things. I should have said something months ago! But I'm glad I eventually did, even if it was 10 months too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment