Monday, June 27, 2011

Craziness

The last week has been very busy. Like SERIOUSLY very busy, even by our standards. I mean our normal life is busy by most people's standards, so this could be classified as insanely busy. It involved getting settled into our new place, babysitting my nephew for 4 days, the rundle's revenge trail run, and visiting with family and friends.

Last Sunday, my dad had 24 fresh lobsters. So, Ben and I headed over for a feast! It was delicious... that is until I had another one of my "episodes." I have had over a dozen of these now, and we're not entirely sure what causes it. Basically an episode as we call it is when my stomach goes hard as rock, I am violently ill, and the pain in unbelieveable. We used to go to the hospital for it, but they don't do much except give me a shot and usually by that point we have waited for 8 hours and it is feeling better anyways. This has happened after eating shell fish maybe 5 times, but it has happened without eating shellfish, and I have eaten shellfish and have been fine. So we're not entirely sure what the trigger is, but it is awful. Poor Ben, he feels so helpless. It only lasts a few hours and usually by the time I wake up I'm way better. So, that was our Sunday night, it was not fun.

Monday, wednesday, thursday and friday I had my nephew Jack. Who is adorable, but is oh so busy. He definitely tuckered aunt Jen out. We took him to the splash park, to visit my mom, to get a new tire, and for some walks.

Ben started his new job on Thursday, and it looks like it it going to be really awesome for him! He said it feels weird going to work and not physically working, like he did in construction. He said the people there are really nice and that the company really values their employees so that is awesome for him!

Saterday we met up with my friend jacque and went for a 3.5 hour bike ride, then Ben and I topped it off with a swim, and then some grocery shopping. It was a busy day, and I was asleep by 8:30 pm since we had to be up early on Sunday.

Sunday morning was the Rundle's revenge trail tun. Ben decided that he wanted to do the 50 km race, and I last minute decided to sign up for the 25 km. We woke up at 5:30 am to pouring rain. Not very encouraging. The race started at 8 am, and we were off. There was 400 m of elevation change per lap and each lap was 12.5 kms. That first loop I was very up and down. I would have stretches where I felt great, then I would slide down the hill since I did not have trial shoes, or I would roll my ankle. I did the first loop in just over 1 hr 35 minutes, and started the second loop. BY the time I made it to km 14, I decided to call it quits. My hip was bothering me, I had already rolled my ankle twice, and I didn't want to push my luck with Ironman Canada only 2 months away. So I walked back down the trail and pulled out of the race. I saw Ben after lap 2 and he was looking good, but wasn't sure he'd do the whole 50. But he did! He finished in 5 hours and 39 minutes! He was pretty pumped but he finished the race.

We drove home, lounged for a bit, then I went to the gym to make up for quitting the race early and biked for a while. I felt good, and I was happy I didn't push during the race and risk getting injured. Perhaps I am finally maturing and listening to my body.

Have a great week. I'm not babysitting my nephew today so I'm job hunting, then training, and maybe some shopping since I have a gift card to use up!

-jen

ps, my sister comes home tomorrow! woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment