Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Allergen Equation



Well, when we arrived back from Calgary I was sooo happy to see the green grass and the leaves coming out. Then, I remembered... I have really bad seasonal allergies. Usually I would take an extra strength reactine and I'd be on my way. The problem is that there is this stupid cat at my work, to whom I am also allergic to. It's got loooong hair and likes to rub up against everything I touch. So for the past year I have had to take reactine EVERY SINGLE DAY just to get through the day. Now, aparently, it does not work anymore for my seasonal allergies.

It allll started on monday, I took my bike out for a solid hour and ten minute bike ride. By the time I got home my throat started getting itchy... then sore. Tuesday was a beautiful 24 degree day and it was quiet at work, so I decided to sit outside waiting for the phone to ring... Surrounded by all the beauty of the mountains and nature.. and of course allergens of new grass and freshly budded trees. My eyes started itching, watering, and my nose started running. While running that evening, I was having trouble breathing since my asthma acts up with my allergies. So I cut my run short and headed home. By yesterday, it felt like I had a TERRIBLE cold. Seriously, if you do not have allergies just imagine having cold like symptoms PERMENANTLY! AND I just got over a BRUTAL cold turned lung infection! UGH!... So feeling aweful, I laid on the couch all evening, skipping the swim workout I was to do. This morning, feeling especially sorry for myself and frustrated, I opened the medicine cabinet and decided I was going to take ANYTHING that would make me feel better. So, I proceded to take 2 extra stength reactines, 2 extra strength sudafeds with pseudoephedrin, and a large cup of coffe.. All to combatt the itching, watering eyes, the stuffed up sinus', and the extreme fatigue. And guess what, I am finally feeling a little bit better!

Then concerned that I may have overdosed, I proceeded to call my pharmacist and she assured me that I would be ok, just not to take any more than that per day. Phew! Now that I am feeling better I can actually think about training tonight and this weekend. So, for now I will live off (sudafed + reactine) squared... hopefully the pharamcist doesn't accuse me of making illegal drugs by the end of the summer because of the large quantites of sudafed I will be going through just to be able to function.


On another note, please keep Ben in your thoughts tomorrow. He is driving to Cagary and has an interview for a job that could be the answer to our prayers. Ben has struggled with finding a career, and this could be a very exciting opportunity for him!.. and it could mean moving sooner than we thought!

Enjoy your Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment